How to Extend the Life of Your Colour
Ever get a great colour service at your favourite salon only to have it wash down the drain after only a few shampoos? Sure the experience was pampering. They gave you cookies, specialty tea, or an espresso. You relaxed in a relaxation area, caught up on some reading, or gabbed with a neighbour.
Then had the best scalp massage for 10 whole minutes! On to the cutting floor where you and your stylist came up with a rockin' haircut plan! Then rocked the selfie wall! You walked out of there on cloud 9! That was Friday, then comes shampoo time...
Here are some colour extend tips:
- Prepare for your colour service: CLARIFY the night before. Professional colour these days are more gentle. Which is what we want right? In order for the colour to penetrate evenly, your hair must be CLEAN, so deep cleanse, then infuse or condition before any colour service.
- Use sulphate free silicone free shampoos. Sulphates can strip colour. Some silicone's create a barrier that over time is hard to remove. Color will not penetrate effectively with this kind of buildup.
- Use a colour protect shampoo and conditioner such as Redken's colour extend.
- Shampoo less often with lukewarm water, never hot. Always seal with a conditioner.
- Never deep treat with heat! Use a good leave in for moisture and protein like our Utility Beauty Milk Spray. If you flat iron, use a heat protector with silicone. YES silicone. This will protect your hair from the heat. Just remember to clarify before your next colour service.
- Get regular trims, and be nice to your hair. Have realistic colour expectations.
- Make changes slowly to maintain the integrity of your hair.
Healthy hair responds best and hangs on to colour the longest!
Follow these tips and it will help extend the life of your colour. And yes, we do offer specialty teas, coffee, have a relaxation room, and a selfie wall for you to rock with your rockin' stylist who has a hair plan for you!
Be kind to your hair!